Tuesday 21 February 2012

PANCAKE PANCAKE

Eggs! Flour! Milk!

Make lovely pancakes today!


Ironically for a cake fiend as myself, growing up, I couldn't actually eat pancakes because I was allergic to eggs. Not to be deterred, my Mum would make chapatis instead which, while not quite as pliable as the real thing, made a really good substitute, especially when dredged with the usual sugar and lemon combo.

I rarely cook pancakes outside of Shrove Tuesday (I am rubbish at not burning them), but I remember having them quite a lot when I was in Russia a few years ago. Whilst in Irkutsk, the girl we were staying with made some for breakfast one day. This prompted us to explain that, in the UK, we usually eat them drizzled with lemon juice and sprinkled with sugar. She nodded, and proceeded to roll full slices of lemon, rind and all, into her pancake. Obviously not convinced that this was a pleasant way to enjoy them, she managed a polite smile, while at the same time clearly making a mental note to ignore all future culinary suggestions from her English guests.

Whatever. Here's to a flippin' good pancake day!

No comments:

Post a Comment