Saturday 3 March 2012

RED, RED WINE

When I was at uni, the shop round the corner from our house sold two bottles of wine for £3.50 (we called the shop 'Peanut & Die', but that's a story for another time). These very reasonably priced beverages fuelled excellent nights both in and out but, as you might expect, they tasted fucking dreadful. The rosé, in particular, was somewhat comparable in flavour to engine oil. If only, I would think, there was a way to make it taste nice, whilst still allowing us to get pissed for a pittance! If only I had known about this cake!


That's right - a cake! With wine! And chocolate! Even better, the more layers you create, the more wine you can put in. This cake is ace - it's really dense and sticky, and the taste of the wine remains only as a slightly boozy perfume, nothing more. It also looks like a giant Oreo, which can't be a bad thing. The recipe can be found here on Smitten Kitchen and, judging by the 650 comments, I'm not the only one that thinks it's a sweet combination.

I made this as a birthday cake for Dave's granddad (also a wine fan) and, because it's not one of those cakes that rises a lot, I managed to jam it very neatly into a biscuit tin. So, in addition to my existing litany of brilliant things about this cake, I'd also like to add that it's very portable.


There's also a rather nice mascarpone cream that goes with it which I used to sandwich the layers together. I would, however, completely condone eating it by itself. Or maybe you could dip some fancy biscuits in it. Or just rub it all over your face. Your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment